From the boldly colored walls to the works of modern art, and the soft chandelier lighting to the superior service, Five Flies’ ambiance radiates elegance and simplicity from each of its interior elements.
Enough of what the inside looks like—you’re probably wondering how the food is. In a nutshell: it’s sensational. Chef Ian Bergh and his highly-experienced kitchen staff prepare exquisite dishes with only the freshest ingredients and flavors.
Seafood selections include . . .
• Pan-fried scallops with wilted spinach and vanilla foam
• West coast oysters half dozen with shallot vinaigrette
• Grilled kingklip with sweet potato, basil and pinenut crust, grilled red pepper and cumin beurre blanc
• Rosette of sole fillet with shrimp thermidor, creamed tatsoi, potato mash and basil cream
• Pan-fried linefish served with herbed linguini, confit tomatoes and lemon beurre blanc
• Grilled Chalmar beef sirloin with pumpkin, courgettes, potato galette, camembert and Medeira wine jus
• Tournedos of beef fillet, with frites, roasted courgettes and bearnaise sauce
• Springbok Wellington with mushroom duxelle, roasted butternut and foie gras, truffle jus
• Roasted confit of half duck with basmati rice, oriental stir fry and Chinese 5 spice jus
• Herb crusted, roasted rack of lamb with creamy garlic potatoes, fine beans and tomato jus
• Grilled ostrich fillet with potato gratin, mange tout, sauteed spinach and red wine sauce
Fine meat selections include . . .
Five Flies isn’t just for fine dining though—it’s also a hot spot for enjoying a chilled cocktail in the open courtyard, a cigar and glass of bourbon in the Cigar Bar and Lounge, or a glass of cabernet in the brick wine bar. And for those looking to get some drinks in before a delicious meal, Five Flies offers an elegant take on the traditional happy hour. Whatever you fancy for the evening, Five Flies has made it their mission to accommodate all tastes.
During my most recent trip to South Africa, we tried Five Flies for the first time and I look forward to going back! It is now on my top list of Cape Town restaurants and bars.